We install Lint Alert dryer vent alarm system This can be installed by our technician at the time of dryer vent cleaning service. No more guessing when it is time to have the dryer vent cleaned!
Call 816-461-3665 to schedule an appointment.
Who needs dryer vent cleaning?
Commercial laundries,Townhomes, and Condominiums
Apartments and Duplexes
Tip: To help remember to have the vent cleaned, get in the habit of doing it in spring, and again in fall, or purchase a Lint Alert alarm.
Call 816.461.3665 to make an appointment.
Dear Ann Landers,
I'm writing about your recent column regarding clothes-dryer vents and fires. Ann, my husband and I have a company that specializes in cleaning dryer vents, so I am more than familiar with the dangers. Clothes dryers start more residential fires than any other appliance. The Consumer Products Safety Commission estimates that there are more than 24000 dryer fires each year in the United States, causing more than 96 million in property damage. Lack of vent maintenance is leading cause of dryer fires, and lent which is a hidden fire hazard is the material most likely to ignite. Even a cleaned lint screen traps only 75% of the lint. When lint builds up in dryer vents, the dryer motor has to labor harder and can overheat, igniting the lint. It isn't just clothes-dryer vent hoses that need to be checked, Ann. Clogged lint-screen compartments, disconnected or ripped dryer-vent hoses, smashed hoses behind the clothes dryer, bird nests in dryer vents, poor dryer-vent design, screens placed over the exhaust point, use of white plastic vent hoses instead of aluminum foil ones-all produce the same blockage, and all cause dryer fires. All these fires are preventable. Please get the word out.
-S.S in Oceanside, California
Dear Oceanside: The word is out, thanks to you. Because I don't know much about clothes dryers, I was unaware of this hazard. I now know a lot more than I did. Read on:
From Green Bay WI:
Recently you had an article from a reader about how the lint from clothes dryers could start a fire. When I read that I asked my husband to check the vent hoses. He reluctantly said, "I'll get to it tomorrow." Thank God that I was home because the lint in the dryer caught fire before my husband every got to it. Waiting an extra day was almost too late for us. Please tell your readers to get the lint out of their dryers and vent hoses today.
From Independence MO:
My husband and I are very thankful to the reader who shared her problem about clogged dryer vents. When my husband read that column to me, I decided to check our dryer, I pulled out the hose and much to my surprise, found it was ripped and brimming with lint. We were wondering why it took three cycles before our clothes were even partially dry.
From Orlando FL:
Bless you for printing that information about dryer vents. For months, my clothes had been taking longer and longer to dry. After reading that column, I decided to check the vent. Not only was it clogged with lint, but also the flap at the end was stuck in an almost-closed position. I am grateful to that reader not only for helping me avoid a fire but also for helping me avoid a fire but also for a lower electric bill.
Two Dryer Fires in One Hour - Savannah Morning News (10/8/2012)SAVANNAH, GA - Savannah Fire & Emergency Services responded to two dryer fires in one hour Monday afternoon in Savannah's Cloverdale neighborhood. The first occurred about 3:30 p.m. on Cloverdale Drive, said Savannah Fire spokesman Mark Keller. He said firefighters encountered heavy smoke and flames in the home's utility room. The flames had extended to the attic and firefighters had to ventilate the roof. Keller said the house sustained heavy smoke and water damage. Three residents of the home were displaced due to the damage, Keller said. The second dryer fire occurred about 4:30 p.m. on Audubon Drive, just blocks from the first. Keller said the fire was out upon firefighters' arrival, and that the damaged appliance was removed from the home.
Dryer Fire Damages Apartment - WTOC Channel 11 News (10/8/2012)POOLER, GA - Pooler firefighters responded to a fire at an apartment complex early Monday. Fire officials say the blaze started inside of a dryer in a third floor apartment of the Carrington Square Apartment homes causing damage to the laundry room and the unit. A family of three who live in the damaged unit have been displaced.
Dryer Fire Causes $45,000 In Damages - By Leanne Murray - WMDT ABC Channel 47 News (10/5/2012)MARDELA SPRINGS, MD - Red Cross is helping a Mardela Springs family whose home was reportedly destroyed by a dryer vent fire. The Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office says that the fire, that was discovered by a neighbor a little after 11 on Friday morning, started in the laundry room of the Charles Street home. Officials say that materials in the dryer vent ignited. It took 20 fire fighters, from three different companies, 20 minutes to put out the blaze. Damages are estimated at $45,000.
Fire Crews Attend Dryer Fire - North Devon Journal (10/4/2012)NORTH DEVON, UK - TWO fire engines from Ilfracombe were called to a ground floor flat in the town after a report of a tumble dryer on fire. The woman occupant and a child had already left the privately-owned flat in La Bastille by the time crews arrived. They discovered a fire in the tumble dryer in the living room and put it out using two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet and small tools. They then ventilated the property to clear it of smoke.
Seniors Extinguish Late Night Fire - By Ross Guidotti - KDKA CBS Channel 2 News (10/4/2012)AMBRIDGE, PA - A fire broke out in the laundry room of the Elderberry Court senior center on Merchant Street late Wednesday night. Around 11:30 p.m. a fire started in the dryer and filled the facility with heavy smoke. Smoke consumed the basement, first and second floor, leading to the evacuation of 41 seniors who live in the center. Authorities said the residents responded as best as they could to the fire by putting it out with a fire extinguisher. "We had crews ventilate the building to get the smoke out," Assistant Fire Chief Rob Gottschalk said. One woman was taken to Sewickley Valley Hospital as a precautionary measure.
Fire Started in the Dryer - Kathleen Leinen - Wahpeton Daily News (10/3/2012)WALCOTT, ND - A dryer is believed to be the cause of a house fire that occurred Tuesday afternoon. Richland County Communications received an emergency call of a residential fire in rural Walcott about 4:39 p.m. Tuesday. Fire Departments from Walcott, Colfax, Abercrombie, Wolverton, Minn., and Christine responded, stated a press release from Richland County Sheriff's Office. Crews found heavy smoke damage coming from the basement of the house. Walcott Fire Department officials said the home's clothes dryer appeared to have started the fire.
Tumble Dryer Fire - By Nancy Fischer - ITV News (10/2/2012)KENT, UK - A man has been given oxygen therapy by fire crews this morning after fire broke out in a tumble dryer. Fire crews were called to Regent Street at 10.51am after the fire broke out. On arrival they found that the man had gone back into his smoke filled home to look for his pet dog. Two fire engines from Whitstable were on the scene within minutes and found the man coming back out of his home, suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke. After initially being treated by fire crews, he was assessed by paramedics.
Dryer Fire Damages House - By Nancy Fischer - The Buffalo News (10/1/2012)WHEATFIELD, NY - A one-story home was damaged when a dryer caught fire at 12:30 p.m. Monday on Sy Road. Volunteer firefighters from Bergholz were assisted by St. Johnsburg and Frontier fire companies and had the fire under control in about half an hour, according to Berholz Assistant Fire Chief Dennis Stoelting. The dryer was in an attached garage and the fire spread to the rear the house. "The back end of the house sustained some pretty good damage," Stoelting said. "The dryer was in the back part of the house. There was damage to that area and the house sustained some smoke damage."
Dryer to Blame for House fire - By Josh Stilts - Brattleboro Reformer (10/1/2012)HINSDALE, NH - Doug Martin said he had just walked upstairs from his basement after putting the family's laundry in the dryer when his son said he smelled smoke. A few minutes later the home's smoke detectors went off, sending Martin rushing back to the basement. When Martin got back downstairs the dryer was on fire and flames were crawling out of the machine. Hinsdale Fire Chief Jay Matuszewski said he was pleased with how quickly the emergency crews arrived. "We had a good response time and were able to save the house from potential real damage," he said. Matuszewski said flames had burned two walls and destroyed the dryer and washing machine. He estimated the damage at roughly $20,000.
According to the National Fire Protection Association there are 15,600 Dryer Vent Fires Annually in the U.S.
Did you know that dryer vent fires are more common than chimney fires? Flammable lint, and dirt and dust accumulate quite rapidly inside the dryer vent (the lint screen does not catch all of it). It is recommended that dryer vents and the dryer chassis be cleaned out every 3 - 6 months depending on the extent of the use of your dryer. Larger families will need their dryer vent cleaned more often. Commercial dryers need to be cleaned more often. Symptoms of a clogged dryer vent are excessive moisture in the laundry room and clothes take a long time to dry or won't dry at all. Sometimes birds build flammable nests at the top of dryer vents (we pulled a 2' nest out of our own vent this year!) which can also be a big problem. Cleaning the dryer vent will improve drying time. We have the expertise and equipment necessary to clean your dryer and dryer vent properly.
CHIMNEY & FIREPLACE RESTORATION | MASONRY HEATERS & OVENS | VENTILATION | EDUCATION & INVESTIGATIONS